don’t worry, it’s decaf
It’s Friday night and Jan and I are sitting at SEA-TAC, waiting for our little plane to Sacramento. The week went by pretty quickly, considering how little running I did. On Tuesday morning, I got up for an early run around downtown and Lost Lagoon – it was a cold but otherwise really pretty and NON-RAINY morning in Vancouver. Then, Thursday morning I went for one last pre-marathon RunVan. We kept it short (just over 6k) and easy pace.
Lots of people told me to expect “taper tantrums” and to feel a bit weird this week. Nothing hurts, exactly, but I’ve found myself obsessing weirdly over my level of hydration, eating carbs, and sleeping. I’m also… irritable? Antsy? Sorry, Jan.
Last night, we packed and I had flashbacks to Sweden as I remembered how much stuff I seem to need for a race. This time, I separated my lists into three main categories: pre-race (flight, expo, shakeout run, relax), race (SO MUCH STUFF) and post race (food and relax, I hope).
Here’s what I brought:
- clothes, shoes, small bag
- shakeout run clothes
- laptop and passport
- couple of magazines and a book for the plane
- snacks: home made muffins, an apple and plenty of Nuun
- Pre-race food: my trusty toaster waffles, PB, and a home-made muffin (plus extras for Jan)
- Actual race-day outfit: top, shorts, bra, socks, shoes, watch, hat, body glide
- Throwaway layers that I plan to shed during the race: sweater, gloves
- Layers that I’ll wear to the start line and check in: puffy jacket, warm up pants. I’ll also check in wipes and a brush, for immediately after the race.
- Nutrition: Honey stinger waffles, one pack of honey stinger chews, some Gu, and handheld bottle
- Clothes and comfy shoes
Hopefully I didn’t forget anything! In a few minutes we’ll be up and away. See you soon, Sacramento!